We all know about brain drain that can come from our much needed summer breaks. Most students can benefit from transitioning back into academics before the first day of school. Here are some transitions that can pay off next month:
1. Everyone should be reading for pleasure. It doesn’t matter what you read. Any kind of reading improves comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and writing. Always read something enjoyable, and take your book wherever you go.
2. Review math. You can order review books online or get a tutor to help review last year’s math to get the brain ready for this year.
3. Practice writing. Send emails or cards to friends and relatives or keep a summer journal.
4. Review for PSAT, SAT, or ACT. Summer is the best time to practice without having school homework to do as well.
5. Assess your potential needs for the school year. Working with a tutor or academic coach at the beginning of the school year improves focus and prevents the workload from becoming overwhelming.
6. Start off strong! Contact Tutoring for Success to create your personalized tutoring plan for the 2016-2017 school year.